What is Modular Anyway?
There are a lot of misconceptions about what “modular” means. When we talk about modular construction, it may conjure images of temporary structures like mobile homes, or novelty commercial sites like hipster brewery hangouts made from shipping containers.
Modular isn’t a temporary building or even a building type. It’s a method of construction and understanding that difference is critical to understanding the advantages of utilizing a modular building system.
- Modular buildings are assembled in controlled factory settings off-site.
- The prefabricated finished products are covered and transported to the site, where they are then assembled by a builder.
- Modular building systems can be used for all types of buildings: residential, commercial, healthcare, laboratories, offices, retail.
- Modular buildings are built to the same standards as conventional buildings.
- Modular building can reduce construction costs by 10-20%.
- Modular construction schedules are more reliable because they are not susceptible to weather delays due to the factory assembly process.
- 60-70% Faster on-average construction schedules mean modular buildings can accelerate ROI.
- Modular construction does not require the same level of skilled labor as conventional construction.
- Pre-engineered elements contribute to the reduction of time needed from design professionals (architects and engineers) on your project.
- Modular buildings cost less to maintain due to the durability of prefabricated materials.
Modular Building is More Reliable
- The factory-like settings modular buildings are manufactured in shield materials from weather and other damaging conditions.
- Storage of modular materials within the factory also protects them from damage and theft.
- Production of modular components is highly-controlled, allowing for exceptional quality management.
- Modular components are flexible and can be easily adapted for future needs.
- Modular buildings can also be easily expanded or reused.
Modular buildings aren’t trailers or novelties anymore. Modular means a highly sophisticated and advantageous method of construction that is cost effective, reliable, and sustainable. Amidst persistent labor shortages and an increased demand for faster construction, modular construction – with its flexible solutions and clear advantages – is the way of the future.